Sunday, January 21, 2007

Genetics

I had difficulty with Elizabeths' choice whether or not she should keep her breasts or remove them due to the cancer and the genetic mutation. This was a difficult decision because it does involve removing a part of her body. This could cause a lot of psychological damage, at the same time she would be at less risk for the cancer to return.

If I had a history of breast cancer in my family I would want to have genetic testing done to determine my risk. I would do this to ease my mind and to keep myself aware of what is going on with my body. I could also prepare and get more knowledge on cancer to treat my condition.

If I had a family history of breast cancer I would advise my children to get routine checks to find out if they have inherited any genetic signs of cancer.

The knowledge that Iam carrying genes for a potential fatal disorder would influence my decision to have children. I would not want to pass those genes on to any offspring. Not even if there was a fifty-percent chance the gene would not pass on.

This information was provided by a website; http://dnafiles.org/interact/brca/index.html

No comments: